Crafting is found in most of the MMORPG's these days. With some players it's wildly popular, with others it is extremely unpopular. Crafting allows you to create items that you can either use or sell. Mostly, crafting is done by picking up a profession. In Lord of the Rings: Online, you cannot pick up professions alone, you have to pick up a vocation. A vocation is a bundle of professions together. In Lord of the Rings: Online, a vocation consists of three professions. Two of these professions complement eachother, the third is a seperate one. The third profession usually requires a profession from a different vocation to advance.
In Lord of the Rings: Online, the following vocations can be found:
- Yeoman; this vocation consists of Farmer, Cook and Tailor. The farmer profession produces materials for the cooking profession and with criticals in farming also items for scholars. The tailor profession can be advanced by making leather into armours (either light or medium). Tailor requires forester to make the pieces of leather.
- Woodsman; this vocation consists of Forester, Farmer and Woodworker. With the forester profession you can boil hides into leather for a tailor and chop and process wood for the woodworker. The woodworker profession can make bows, crossbows, spears and javelins from the wood provided by the forester profession. The farmer profession produces materials for cooks and scholars.
- Tinker; this vocation consists of Prospector, Jeweller and Cook. The prospecting profession allows you to gather metals and precious metals, and gemstones from mining nodes. The precious metals can be made into ingots that are used by the jeweller profession. The jeweller profession uses the ingots and gemstones provided by the prospecting profession. The jeweller makes these into jewellery for players to wear or into hope tokens that can be used. The cooking profession needs the farmer profession to advance.
- Explorer; this vocation consists of Prospector, Forester and Tailor. This is basically a gathering vocation. One can gather and process wood, hides and ore. These can the be processed to be used by various other professions. The tailor profession can use the leathers provided by the forester profession.
- Armsman; this vocation consists of Prospector, Weaponsmith and Woodworker. The prospector can gather ore and make ingots of it. The weaponsmith uses the ingots to forge weapons like swords and daggers of it. The woodworker profession needs the forester profession to be advanced.
- Armourer; this vocation consists of Prospector, Metalsmith and Tailor. The prospector profession can gather ore and make ingots of it. These are then used by the metalsmith profession to make armour and crafting tools. The tailor profession needs leather to advance.
- Historian; this vocation consists of Scholar, Weaponsmith and Farmer. Perhaps the odd duck of them all. The scholar profession gathers the materials it then uses to make potions and dyes. The weaponsmith profession requires a prospector to advance and the farmer profession produces materials for the cooking profession and for the scholar profession.
If we read the above, it is possible to be entirely self sufficient with just four vocations; Tinker, Woodsman, Armourer and Historian. With these four vocations you can produce almost everything the game has to offer yourself; armour, jewellery, potions, scrolls, hope tokens, dyes, swords, daggers, bows, crossbows, etc. However there are seven crafting guilds which offer more goods to produce. Each character can only be member of one guild.